Monday, January 16, 2006

The King's Shadow




Today was the last exam of my MBA season .. Now I have to just sit back and wait for the GD/PI calls. And as I sat back and idled about in gay abandon I came across this show on Animal Planet where the host goes in search of the King Cobra in the Indian Jungles. The largest venomous snake in the world with an average length of around 16 feet and is known to grow upto 24 feet. I am a real wussie when it comes to snakes and they thoroughly petrify me. Guess that's the reason I am thoroughly fascinated by them. I have watched a hell lot of shows on snakes and think they are wonderful creatures.

About the King Cobra the story goes... ( Mind you , do not confuse the King with a normal cobra which is much smaller in length , by small I mean about 7 to 8 feet )
There are two marks behind the King Cobra which look like eyes and it is said that once when Gautam Buddha was meditating a King Cobra raised its hood and provided him shade from the sun. Buddha was pleased when he realised that and touched the King on its head and hence the marks. The amazing part of this snake is that it is not aggressive like other snakes and is very calm and collected. It retaliates only when someone tries to touch it or comes near its nest. In normal circumstances it will simply glide by your feet showing no interest in your presence though if that actually happens with me I am sure I would have peed in my pants at the sight of a 16 foot long snake . The amazing part of this snake , as you can see in the picture , is it can stand upto 1/3rd of its body length and look you straight in the eye and if need be can move ahead in the same position. A snake that long is enough to strike fear in any person's heart but to have the snake stand and look you in the eye is pure torture. One bite from this snake has enough venom to kill 20 people or an elephant.

Now for the people thinking that I have lost it , it is just not the snake that fascinates me . It is its appearance and confidence. Just look into the eyes of the snake in the picture and tell me how long can you gaze at it without feeling a chill run down your spine. You know that you can't mess with it just by the look in its eyes, forget the remaining 16 feet of the body. This is what I call POWER and there are a few of us who have eyes like that , full of confidence and desire. This made me wonder how this creature can have so much cocky confidence and the reason is simply that it has fully evolved and is capable of exploiting its poisonous venom. So in a similar fashion the day we realize what a truly wonderful machine we are and what untold capabilities we have , is the day we step out of the King's shadow.




(I ain't the only one inspired by the King Cobra.. This is a yoga posture known as King Cobra)

3 comments:

Sriram said...

it sure is scary. But if i ever find myself in a shitty situation where a king cobra is ambling along close to me I will try to remember this and not bother to shake its hands or touch it like buddha did or make any eye contact.

Nikita Merchant & Sriharsh Mallela said...

@ Heyz... Lolz i do get your point

@ Sri .. yeah thjey are huge creatures i did see a show on that in which the host went in search of a 30 feeet Anaconda.. but they dont have the grace of the Cobra...Some snakes are blind ... The cobra is not .. it can spot the slighest movement within a 100 feet radius..

RamaDrama said...

f#$@&ing jeez!Put some warning buddy...snakes creep me out..!Now i know why Buddha is popular..its not the eight fold path..its the eight fold finger technique to pat the King cobra that got him famous!Thanks for blogrolling me..doing the same..All the best for the results.