Monday, April 24, 2006

Who stole my Sunday?


Its 3:30 in the morning and i am too bored to sleep. A totally uneventful , useless day where i did not do anything at all . Got up in the morning, did some errands for my mom and then sat with the newspaper for about 2 hours , cleaned my bookshelf which was littered with useless stuff. And then slept a lot in the afternoon. Really dont know what i did throughout the evening except that i just went out for a walk once.

What a way to spend a Sunday. Sundays used to be soo much more eventful when i was younger. Sunday programming on television was also something to look forward to. Remeber watching Mahabharata , Ramayana , Chanakya , Tipu Sultan and many such serials as a kid. Towards my teenage years it was the Bournvita Quiz Contest and cartoons. Then the lunch was always something to look forward too as we sit together as a family and have an idylic chat. Evenings used to be full of fun as i either used to go out with my parents to visit some fun family friends or play with my colony friends. As night approached a sense of gloom usually engulfed me as i thought about going to school the next day. I used to hate school on Mondays. So many times i used to act as if i have stomach pain so that i could escape school that day. Worked a few times before my mom was on to it. Many sunday evenings i have also spent watching movies with my family. Those days simply were so much more fun. The day had a special meaning and feeling attached to it.

Nowadays almost everyday is like a Sunday. I used to wake up at a particular time every sunday as a kid so that i could watch my particular serials. There is nothing to wake up for these days . The day used to feel like a well earned holiday. Used to be my favorite day of the week . Now it doesnt matter which day it is tommorow, it could be thursday for all i care since i dont have anything special to do anyways. My mom used to drag me to the market on this day so that i could carry all the heavy stuff. Used to watch her haggle with all the shopkeepers , pick up vegetables and poultry and learnt quite a bit. My reward for coming with her used to be a bar one. Love that chocolate. In Delhi , a sunday during winters meant that i could stay inside the quilt for as long as i want and it is one of the most relaxing and satisfying feleings in the world. To be warm and comfortable .

Damn this Sunday






No comments: